This is obviously an opinion piece.
Just because someone is ‘offended’ by something, doesn’t always mean they are right…
Tropicana launched what I thought was a humorous ad campaign this month called #TakeAMimoment. The hashtag was part of a marketing campaign that encouraged parents, while being stuck at home day-in-and-day-out with the kids amid the coronavirus pandemic, to relax and de-stress with the help of a mimosa alcoholic drink.
The promotion showed bottles of orange juice stashed with bottles of champagne in mini fridges in a home bathroom, closet and garage.
“Parents, you’re juggling it all! Find the ultimate moment of brightness for yourself – wherever and whenever – with a Tropicana mimosa, of course!”
The company conducted a survey of 1,000 parents in which 87% said they “sometimes just need a moment for themselves.” The other 13% of parents surveyed…Lied.
“Tropicana is helping parents find those moments – wherever and whenever they can – by creating incognito mini-fridges filled with the makings for mimosas to provide moms and dads with the ultimate ‘Mimoment’ for themselves,” the company said in the release.
Either way, once the campaign took off, bored humorless people on social media did what bored humorless people on social media do: Complain and Feel Offended.
The Karens immediately went looking for the Tropicana managers!
Has any one ever even heard of the term “Mommy wine culture” before?
When recovery organizations failed to appreciate the humor in the campaign, calling it dangerous, pressure began to be put on Tropicana. This prompted Tropicana to issue and apology and pull the plug on the whole campaign.
“We want to apologize to anyone who is disappointed in or offended by our recent campaign,” Tropicana said in a statement. “The intent behind it was in no way meant to imply that alcohol is the answer or make light of the struggles of addiction.”
While I agree that addiction in any form is a disease and should be treated as such, I also think that much of this ‘outrage’ was blown waaayyy out of proportion.
I thought the campaign was creative, humorous and a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale and excessively conservative ‘afraid to take a risk and offend somebody’ advertising world.
The idea of sneaking into to the garage for a quick, relaxing moment of relaxation with a mimosa was light-hearted fun that any parent working from home with young children clearly understood and appreciated.
I mean there is a huge difference between sipping a quick mimosa in the kitchen and downing boxed wine from a Pringles Chips can in a Walmart parking lot.
Like @JeanneMVR said:
What do you think? Did all these keyboard cowboys right to complain and take offense? Should Tropicana have apologized for their attempt at a humorous campaign or stood by their creatives?
Let me know in the comments below?